It’s important to know what to check when buying a used phone. Not every used phone is created equal, and there are definitely some things you need to double and triple check before handing over your money.
Let’s break down 5 of those must-checks now.
1. Give the phone a good lookover
When shopping for a used cell phone, it is important to take the time to inspect the physical condition of the device. Signs of wear and tear can indicate that the phone may not function as well as a newer model. Look for scratches on the screen, dents or cracks in the case, and other signs of damage. The buttons should also be checked to make sure that they are not loose or missing altogether.
In addition, it is important to make sure that all of the ports are undamaged and that the charging cable fits snugly. This is often overlooked but a crucial step of the inspection process.
By taking the time to examine the condition of a used cell phone, you can help ensure that you are getting a quality device.
2. Inspect the cell phone’s battery
When buying a used cell phone, it is also important to check the battery before agreeing to purchase the phone. A bad battery can indicate that the phone has not been properly maintained and may not work for a long period of time.
In addition, a bad battery can be a sign that the phone has been dropped or damaged, which can lead to problems with the screen or other components. On top of this, a bad battery can make the phone difficult or annoying to use — since it’ll likely die faster than it was originally designed to die.
There are a variety of 3rd party apps, as well as internal features that can help you assess the health of a used phone’s battery.
3. Check the compatibility of the used cell phone
When you’re in the market for a used cell phone, it’s important to do your homework before making a purchase. One of the most important things to check is compatibility – both with your cell phone provider and with any other devices you might use in conjunction with the cell phone (e.g., chargers, headsets, etc.). Otherwise, you might end up stuck with a phone that doesn’t work the way you want it to. You need to double check that the phone is either unlocked or compatible with your chosen cell phone provider. If you fail to do this, you could be stuck paying for expensive service plans or faced with other unexpected charges. By taking the time to do your research upfront, you can avoid any headaches down the road.
4. Confirm the price point is fair and accurate
When buying a used phone, it’s important to be careful when purchasing a used phone, as you don’t want to end up paying more than the phone is worth. Here are a few tips to help you get the best deal on a used cell phone:
- Do your research. Before you start shopping for a used phone, it’s important to have an idea of what you’re looking for and how much it should cost. Check online forums and reviews to get an idea of which models are most popular and what prices are reasonable.
- Compare prices. Once you’ve narrowed down your search to a few specific models, take the time to compare prices from different sellers. Be sure to factor in shipping costs, as well as any other fees that may be associated with the purchase. You can check out other marketplaces, as well as check out what a refurbished phone might be on a site like Amazon or BestBuy. As a rule of thumb, a second hand phone from an individual seller should be priced significantly lower than a refurbished one.
- Inspect the phone carefully. As mentioned, you need to inspect the phone thoroughly to make sure there are no major defects and all the features are in working order. This will help you further identify a fair price point for the phone.
5. Ask for proof of purchase if possible
When buying a used cell phone, it’s also important to ask for proof of purchase, so you can verify that the phone is not stolen and to see if it’s still under warranty. A proof of purchase can include a receipt, order confirmation, or other documentation from the original purchase. This documentation can help to ensure that you’re getting a phone that is in good working condition and that you’re not being scammed. Additionally, a warranty can provide peace of mind in case there are any issues with the phone after you’ve purchased it.